The Story



We are All Antarctica is a story about my father George W. Gibbs, Jr’s adventures as the first person of African descent to set foot on the continent of Antarctica. He sailed on the famous ship the USS Bear in 1939 to 1941 on Admiral Byrd’s III expedition to the South Pole. It was the first joint venture with the US military and private exploration. Gibbs went on to serve humanity in countless ways, paving the way for not only people of color in the community of Rochester, MN but for all people to become more human, serve their community and appreciate differences.

Through compassion, tenacity, faith and countless hours in the trenches, Gibbs’ life is a model for community service, equality and fun. As the lowest rank on the ship, he was honored for his contribution at a time when people with dark skin were considered less than human.

This story integrates my experiences with natural healing, the arts, the science of the ice, the metaphysics of the South Pole and the history of the expedition and its mystery.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

What does the ice have to say?

It's great to know many people are inspired by my bold vision: To go to Antarctica to connect the dots from the past, present and future! My imagination about what the continent looked like 70 years ago has changed through my research. It's hard to imagine how going to the bottom of the earth will change me. Less than two months ago, I had no strong feelings about seeing Antarctica. People have asked me for the last 11 years about going. The vision and desire was missing. Now, I want to go. It shows how life can unfold and surprise you! What does the ice have to say? I will find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment